Sunday, July 24

Cicada Hum
I'm bored, lonely, and rather apathetic. It feels good to be empty-headed for once, even if some quarantined corners of my brain are still shrieking, "You should be working on your cover letters, preparing more job applications, and trying desperately to get your magazine reprinted!" But somehow, I'm not sure any of that matters. I don't think I'll succeed in getting my magazine reprinted-- I think that project was doomed from the start for poor timing and a lack of concrete motivation-- and I really don't feel like hurrying to get a job. Even if the position for which I've just applied falls through (*coughs dryly*) which, I daresay it may, I'm not likely to submit, follow through on, and interview for any other positions in the next month when the three weekends following next are taken up by Rachel and Micah's wedding and then our annual Glacier Trip.

I feel sinfully lazy. But really, financial stressors aside, I don't want to leap headfirst into an uncertain career even if society says I ought to. I want to start somewhere groovy and decide from there where to go. (But this is why I DO feel good about working for the mag for which I just applied.) I see nothing logistically wrong with going to Seattle FIRST and looking for a job SECOND, especially now that we've got our housing situation secured for the moment.

So, instead of doing anything productive, I've been laying in the sun and reading Dan Brown's Angels and Demons (the "prequel" to The Davinci Code). A fun little book, but for something purportedly "high IQ," I was disappointed to notice that the author seems to maintain the conviction that cell phones have a dial tone. Dolt. I'm quite brown from sunning myself, happily risking skin cancer for this, the last summer of vacations.

My domain expires in less than 30 days, and I'm not sure whether I feel frantic or passively resigned to this. I don't know if I can and should part with it, or simply archive and move on. I think Schoolgirl Sophistry (formerly "My So-Called Life") has served me well the last four years and is no longer a noble or self-sustaining cause. Any suggestions?

I'm going to lounge around and do more of nothing, hoping that my notoriously inconsiderate hippie neighbors realize that no one actually WANTS to listen to them blast Cake and folk rock at 10PM.